Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Collaging with the kiddies at Free Arts for Abused Children

Simon said, as he scanned the cut out pictures of cats, kids smiling, big words he didn't know or understand and a merger selection of dogs, "I don't like cats I wanna dog". Here they are I chimed in, look at the pug with the pushed in nose isn't he cute. He quickly took it from my hand and zealously smeared the back side with glue and slapped it on the blue construction paper. Sometimes its just a small opening that leads to more small openings. Whatever they want to share its okay whether its big or small, my role as a volunteer is to be their with no prescribed agenda to "fix" their problems. We all just surrender to the creative process of collaging and see where it takes us. However, their are many times in the area I collage, where their are side conversations going on between lawyers, child advocates, parents, other family member and guardians. A ten year old Latina girl and her four year old sister said after over hearing their conversation, " They shouldn't neglect their child like that". I said, your right that is very unfortunate and we continued to collage. I could see the mis-trust in her eyes, I knew their was a story but I didn't pry. She said, "I have my other collage I did last time you were here", really I said. I post mines on my wall at home. You do her eyes getting bigger, I'll think I'll do that too at my foster family's house. You see collaging is not an escape from life, but it is a window of opportunity to let the sunlight of creativity shine through the uncertain darkness. Art heals this I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment